Professor Sarantos Psycharis
School of Pedagogical and Technological Education-ASPETE
Nationality/Citizenship: Greek - Canadian
Personal webpage: http://sarantospsycharis.weebly.com/
A highly experienced and devoted Professor who has made a significant contribution to many educational institutions throughout Europe. Professor Psycharis has published many papers in prestigious journals and has established various European-wide improved academic practices for Undergraduates and Postgraduates alike. He was also the Coordinator, representing the Greek Government - for the European Network of Teacher Education Policies (ENTEP), and for two years President of the Network and Evaluator for European Commission.
From 22/12/2014-4/8/ 2015, he also served as a Rector/and Chancellor of ASPETE.
Master of Science in “New Technologies of Information and Communication”
2000 – 2002.University of Athens, Greece
Doctor of “High Energy Physics - Computational Physics”
October 1985 – 1988
University of Glasgow, United Kingdom - Department of Physics and Astronomy.
Thesis – Topological Properties of Gauge Fields on a Lattice
Supervisor - Ι.Μ.Barbour. Grade – Honours (Cum Laude)
Bachelor of Science -Degree in Physics
1979 – 1983. University of Athens, Greece
Present employment (2008-Today)
- Rector- Chancellor at the School of Pedagogical and Technological Education (ASPETE-http://www.aspete.gr) (22/12/2014- 4/8/2015)
- Professor at the Department of Education (2008-Today) for ‘Applications of Computational Science in Education’ (http://education.aspete.gr/index.php/en/personnel/acc/research-commitee.html
- At My Institution –ASPETE- I delivered lectures in the following courses: ‘Education Technology”, “Pedagogical Applications of Computers”, ‘Special Didactics”(Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineer Educators”, “Methodology of Research”. Teaching at undergraduate level and at Teachers’ training Program (ΕΠΠΑΙΚ)
- Use of software, such as: Easy java simulations (Ejs), Arduino, Raspberry pi ,Lego Mindstorms robotics, LabVIEW, Scratch, App Inventor, Tracker, SPSS, NVIVO, while the teaching and learning approach includes the inquiry based teaching and learning approach, PBL etc
- Supervision of numerousMasters Dissertations for ‘Pedagogy and ICT’ for the joint Masters in Education Programme (ASPETE and Roehampton University, UK) and in other Greek Universities (Open University of Greece, University of the Aegean). Dissertations themes focused on Computational issues for Education, Computational Thinking, Assessment, STEM and Computational Pedagogy, ICT in Education, etc using quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Supervision of Master Theses for the Greek Open University for the course “Research Methodology” and Science Education.
- Online tutor for the Greek Open University: course “Research Methodology” and “Science Education” (postgraduate level).
- Currently, Scientific Director for the Master’s Degree in “STEM Education” at ASPETE, running since September 2015- http://stem.masters.aspete.gr/index.php/en/
- Principal Researcher and manager for many National and European Projects and member of the Advisory Board for Horizon 2020 projects.
Previous employment and appointments
Aegean University (2004-2008): Full Time Lecturer for Science Education (2006-2008), Adjunct Lecturer (2004-2006). Responsible for the development of the curricula for pre-service primary school teachers for science education. Taught for the courses, Physics(I & II) ,‘Teaching and Learning of Natural Sciences’, and ‘Pedagogy for Natural Sciences’. Taught for the Master’s program ‘Education using ICT’ .Supervision of numerous Masters Dissertations for ‘Pedagogy and ICT in Education’.
SCIENTIFIC ACTIVITIES- MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL BODIES
2018: Visiting Professor for the Institution Jean Piaget-Portgual: Teaching for STEM in Education and Digital Technologies
2017: Establishment of the professional body in Greece for “STEM Education” http://e3stem.edu.gr/wordpress/.
President of the Professional Body after elections.
2017: International Conference on Education and E-Learning
November 2-4, 2017, Bangkok, Thailand-Session Chair: Prof. Sarantos Psycharis
2016: Member of the Advisory Board (Project’s External Advisory Board), - Project INLIFE: Incubate a New Learning and Inspiration Framework for Education,ICT-24-2016: Horizon 2020 Gaming and gamification, Leader Institute of Communication and Computer Systems (NTUA, Greece).
2016: Member of the Professional Body for “Education in Physics”: http://www.eefee.gr/
2013-Today: Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal EURASIA, Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, http://www.ejmste.com
Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal Eurasian Journal of Physics & Chemistry Education
Reviewer for the journals, «Scientific Journals International (SJI), «Journal of Science Education» «International Journal of Learning», «International Journal of Science Education»,Executive Peer-Reviewer of the Educational Technology & Society journal, Computers and Education etc. Member of the scientific committee for many Conferences
European Network on Teacher Education Policies (ENTEP). 2000 – 2004 Member of the ENTEP from 2000 - 2002, and Coordinator of ENTEP from 2002- 2004. As Coordinator of the network, I was member of the Expert Group A of the European Commission, ‘Objective 1.1 Improving the education of teachers and trainers’.
KEY CONCEPTS OF MY RESEARCH
Impact of my Research
- Changing practice in HE-STEM in Education
- Impact on curriculum design courses
- Wider impact in education
Key Concepts of my Research
Computational Experiment-Computational Thinking-Inquiry Based Science Education-Epistemology in Education-Self efficacy and motives in Education- Assessment for Learning-Mobile learning, Impact of physical computing to STEM epistemology-Computational Pedagogy
Summary of my Research Interests
STEM -Computational Science-Engineering epistemology and Computational Thinking. Development of STEM Applications and artefacts for primary, secondary, Adult and Higher Education-Use of unplugged STEM.
- Address the challenge of forging deeper learning in STEM by integrating design thinking as an approach to teaching in which students construct and demonstrate understanding through a form of design
- Research on student learning needs, contemporary learning theories, and innovative learning activities and assessment methods using different research methodologies, quantitative and qualitative and research methods
- Designing and integrating computational-problem-based learning environments, combined with engineering education (content and design) into curricula for primary, secondary, Adult and Higher Education.
- Use of Learner analytics and Big Data in Education
- Teaching and Learning Methods: inquiry learning, problem based learning, project-based learning, flipped classroom, case-based teaching for primary, secondary, Adult and Higher Education
- Problem solving and Inquiry Based Approach - Use of computers as cognitive tools -Scientific Reasoning and Epistemology, Model based reasoning, psychological structures (self-esteem, self-efficacy, motives etc )
- Critical analysis and empirical investigation of how educational policies, institutions and structures impact on and are experienced by students and teachers. Critical analysis of pedagogies and educational practices - theoretical and empirical research- to critique pedagogical practices and to suggest for pedagogical approaches that encompass critical and creative thinking
- Approaches on assessment in computing courses: self-assessment and peer assessment. Investigation on students’ learning and skills by employing self and peer assessment in HE and in school
- Visualization of Algorithms and their impact on students’ active learning engagement
- Management in Education-Design principles for educational use
At my research I am drawing from theories of conceptual development and change, domain-specific reasoning and epistemological beliefs, and I employ quantitative, qualitative and design-based research methodologies (Research Methodology methods in Education-qualitative and quantitative, use of SPSS, NVIVO)
SELECTED PROJECTS INVOLVED AND THEIR IMPACT
Project “Searching for the Labours of Hercules
- 2015-17: Manager and Principal Researcher –on behalf of my Institution-for the Project “Searching for the Labours of Hercules [2014-1-TR01-KA201-012990]-ERASMUS+”. Deliverables: a) Development of Web Comics using the Scratch software-b) Examination of Self –Efficacy in Teachers training, c) Chapter in a book for Chapter in a Book (2017). ICT-Related Teacher Professional Development: Best Practices. Sarantos Psycharis, Petros Georgiakakis and Eva Sakellaridi, e-book entitled “Various Aspects of ICT Integration in Education” focuses on the ICT integration in education .The book has composed of 12 modules created by academicians from 10 different universities. Editor: Prof. Dr. Yasemin Koçak Usluel, https://pt.slideshare.net/laboursofhercules/ebook-abstracts. Project Website: http://laboursofhercules.com/.
Impact of Research:
- 1.Development of pedagogical scenarios using the Scratch Tool and WEB2.0 technologies for students and teachers’ training in Greece, Romania, Spain, Hungary
- 2.Ongoing research for the impact of learning using comics for the self-efficacy of teachers and students.
- 3.Exploitation of best practices and methodology of how to engage teachers in ICT inclusion in their teaching. The best practices of each partner organization will be included in the e-book developed by Professor Psycharis and his colleagues.
- 4.Ongoing research on the effects of the cultural differences in the ICT Integration process.
- 5.Study of the relation of Self –efficacy and WEB 2.0 Tools
Project: ESP - English for Specific Purposes in Tourism sector, e-Learning
2013-14:Principal Researcher on behalf of ASPETE for the project: ESP - English for Specific Purposes in Tourism sector, e-Learning
Leonardo da Vinci - Transfer of Innovation
Coordinator: Adiyaman Provincial Directorate of Culture and Tourism.
Agreement no 2012-1-TR1-LEO05-35117.Development of the e-Learning platform.
2012-14: Principal Researcher of behalf of ASPETE in the program project: TRACON (Training teachers in developing consumer awareness among children) of Education, Audiovisual and Culture Executive Agency.
http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/index_en.php. Comenius Sub programme.
Project N° 517562-LLP-1-2011-GR-COMENIUS-CMP - Agreement N° 2011-3568
ASPETE was responsible for the development of the e-platform
Impact of Research: Social impact- Training teachers in developing consumer awareness among children
Project FP7- The Pathway to inquiry Based Science Teaching.
2011-13:Principal Researcher and Manager on behalf of ASPETE in the project FP7-Science-in-Society-2010-1, Coordination and support actions (Supporting). Activity 5.2.2 Young people and science. SiS-2010-2.2.1-1 Supporting and coordinating actions on innovative methods in science education: teacher training on inquiry based teaching methods on a large scale in Europe- Grant Agreement Number SIS-CT-2010-266624, The Pathway to inquiry Based Science Teaching. Scientific Coordinator on behalf of ASPETE. http://www.pathway-project.eu. Coordinator Franz Bogner: University of Bayreuth
The aim of the project was to set the pathway towards a standard-based approach to teaching science by inquiry, to disseminate methods and exemplary cases of both effective introduction of inquiry to science classrooms and professional development programmes, to support the adoption of inquiry teaching by demonstrating ways to reduce the constrains presented by teachers and school organisation.
Project: ‘Teachers’ training with ICT-Second Level’.
TEACHING PROFILE- TEACHING PHILOSOPHY
My profile as teacher is based on the following four principles:
1. Goals for student learning
2. Enactment of goals
3. Assessment of goals
4. Creating a proper learning environment
During the years of my teaching I have passes through different phases. At the early years of my teaching career my concern was primarily on my own role in the classroom, but when I mastered this role my concern shifted to students" ability to absorb what they have been taught with an emphasis from teaching to learning helping my students to become more absorbent and to use what they have been taught
SELECTED (current) PUBLICATIONS
Psycharis, S. (2013),‘Exploring the Effects of the Computational Experiment Approach to the Epistemic Beliefs, the Motivation, the Use of Modelling Indicators and Conceptual Understanding in Three Different Computational Learning Environments’. Journal of Education and Training Studies
Volume 1; April 2013-ISSN 2324-805X E-ISSN 2324-8068.
Psycharis,S., Chalatzoglidis,G., & Kalogiannakis,M.(2013). ‘Moodle as a Learning Environment in Promoting Conceptual Understanding for Secondary School Students’.EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education.
EURASIA, Eurasia J. Math. Sci. & Tech. Ed.9(1), 167-176.
Psycharis, S. (2013).‘The Effects of the Computational Models on Learning Performance, Scientific Reasoning, Epistemic Beliefs and Argumentation’. Computers & Education- Volume 68, October 2013, Pages 253–265 (DOI: 10.1016/j.compedu.2013.05.015).
Psycharis, S.,Botsari,E.,Mantas, P.,& Loukeris, D.(2013),‘The impact of the Computational Inquiry Based Experiment on Metacognitive Experiences, Modelling Indicators and Learning Performance’. Computers & Education, CAE2501,PII:S0360-1315(13)00278-9, DOI: 10.1016/j.compedu.2013.10.001
Psycharis, S., Botsari,E.&Chatzarakis, G.(2014),‘Examining the Effects of Learning Styles, Epistemic Beliefs and the Computational Experiment Methodology on Learners’ Performance Using the Easy Java Simulator Tool in STEM Disciplines. Journal of Educational Computing Research’; 2014, Volume 51(1). http://jrnledcompresearch.com/index.php/jecr
Psycharis, S. (2015). ‘The Impact of Computational Experiment and Formative Assessment in Inquiry Based Teaching and Learning Approach in STEM Education ; Journal of Science Education, and Technology 25(2),316-326 (JOST) DOI 10.1007/s10956-015-9595-z
Psycharis, S., (2016).‘Inquiry Based- Computational Experiment, Acquisition of Threshold Concepts and Argumentation in Science and Mathematics Education (Journal “Educational Technology & Society”- Volume 19, Issue 3, 2016.
Stauroulia,P.,Botsari,E., Psycharis,S., Kekkeris,G (2016).Emotional Experience in Simulated Classroom Training Enviroments. International Journal of Information and Learning Technology. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/doi/abs/10.1108/IJILT-10-2015-0030?journalCode=ijilt&,
Psycharis, S. ,Kalia, M.(2017). The Effects of Computer Programming on high school students' problem solving, reasoning skills and self-efficacy in Mathematics; ,Instructional Science, 45(5), 583-602 10.1007/s11251-017-9421-5,
Psycharis,S.,Kalovrektis,K.,Sakelalridi,E.,&Korres,K.,Mastorodimos,D.(2017).U nfolding the Curriculum: Physical Computing, Computational Thinking and Computational Experiment in STEM’s Transdisciplinary Approach. European Journal of Engineering Research and Science (EJERS), I.F. 0.65. DOI 10.24018/ejers.2018.0., http://www.ejers.org/index.php/ejers/article/view/639/0
Psycharis, S (2018) STEAM in Education: A Literature review on the role of Computational Thinking, Engineering Epistemology and Computational Science. Computational STEAM Pedagogy (CSP). SCIENTIFIC CULTURE, Vol.4, No.2, 51-72.
Psycharis, S., & Kotzampasaki, E.(2018). The impact of a STEM Inquiry Game Learning scenario on Computational Thinking and Computer self-confidence. Submitted for publication
REFERRED CONFERENCE PAPERS
- Psycharis,S.(2010),‘Computational Physics and ICT: Computer Modelling and Simulations in Science Education’. GIREP - ICPE - MPTL 2010, International Conference: Teaching and Learning Physics today: Challenges? Benefits? Reims, France,2010
- Stavroulia, K.,Psycharis, S. and Makri-Botsari E.(2011),‘A Study on the Relationship Among the Cognitive, Emotional and Social Development of Open University Students’. ESERA Conference(European Science Education Research Association), Lyon, September 5th-9th, 2011.
- Rigg,J.,Hosein, A., & Psycharis,S.(2014),‘Researching Children’s ‘Self’ Constructs and their Success at Solving Word Problems: A Pilot Study’. British Congress of Mathematics Education Pope, S. (Ed.) Proceedings of the 8th British Congress of Mathematics Education 2014.
- Abbasi,M.,Psycharis,S.,Riviou,K.,Xydopoulos,G.,Sotiriou,S.,Stergioulas,L.,&FragagiM.(2015). “Teaching and Assessment methods in the field of Mathematics, Science and Technology”. Conference -Open Discovery Space: Transforming schools into innovative learning organisations-http://eden.ea.gr/, Athens 2015
- Malamou, A.,Sarli,M.,& Psycharis,S.(2015). Developing a Spacewalk Simulation with the Easy Java Simulations Tool and Implementing a Lesson Plan Using the Inspiring Science Education Authoring Tool. Conference -Open Discovery Space: Transforming schools into innovative learning organisations-http://eden.ea.gr/, Athens 2015
- Mastorodimos,D.,Paliouras,A.,Mallou,E., & Psycharis,S., (2016). Implementation of the Differentiated Learning using ICT and the SOLO taxonomy in Scratch environment.. 8th Conference on Informatics in Education – ICT in Education (8th CIE2016). University of Piraeus, Proceedings, ISBN: 978-960-578-023-4.
- Tsaroucha,S.,Kyriakopoulou,P.,Georgiakakis,P.,&Psycharis,S.(2016). Scratch as a Trojan horse to involve girls and minorities in school participation and learning success.
Proceedings of the Contemporary World Challenges for the European Citizen Conference. Romania-November 18, 2016 . Project: Strategic Partnerships for school education Erasmus+. 2014-1-TR01-KA201-012990 .Searching for the Labours of Hercules”. ISBN 978-973-53-1877-2
- Tsaroucha,S.,Kyriakopoulou,P.,Georgiakakis,P.,&Psycharis,S.(2016). Computation models using scratch for the exploitation of the labours of Hercules.
Proceedings of the Contemporary World Challenges for the European Citizen Conference. Romania-November 2016 .Novemebr 18, Project: Strategic Partnerships for school education Erasmus+. 2014-1-TR01-KA201-012990 „Searching for the Labours of Hercules”. ISBN 978-973-53-1877-2
- Psycharis,S.,Kotzampasaki,E..(2017). A Didactic Scenario for Implementation of Computational Thinking using Inquiry Game Learning. ICEEL 2017,November 2-4, 2017, Bangkok, Thailand, http://www.iceel.org/. Published by ACM
- Paliouras, A. & Psycharis,S.(2017) Teaching programming in High School using the STEM epistemology (Conference : etpe2017 -5th Panhellenic Conference for the Integration and Use of ICT in the Educational Process). http://www.etpe.gr/conf/?cid=30
- Mastorodimos, D.,& Psycharis,S.(2017). Use of the software Easy Java Simulations and Arduino for STEM simulations. Lab workshop. Etpe2017 -5th Panhellenic Conference for the Integration and Use of ICT in the Educational Process). http://www.etpe.gr/conf/?cid=30
- Psycharis, S. ,Kalovrektis, K., Sakellaridii,E., Chatzarakis,G.& Oikonomopoulou, M.(2018). Physical Computing, Computational Thinking, and Computational Experiment in Engineering Pedagogy. An implication for the Engineering Education Epistemology. EDUCON 2018-IEEE Global Engineering Education Conference .Submission Type / Conference Track: Special Session: IT and Engineering Pedagogy” – ITEP'18.
- Psycharis, S. 2018). Computational Thinking, Engineering Epistemology and STEM Epistemology: A primary approach to Computational Pedagogy (in press)
- Psycharis, S. (2018). Computational STEM education mobile apps and their impact on Engineering Pedagogy: A primary approach (in press)
- Chapter in the book (in English),-2012- ‘Best Practices of Inquiry Based Science Education Methods and Activities’. ISBN 978-960-473-324-8. This book was the learning outcome of the project “The Pathway to inquiry Based Science Teaching” http://www.pathway-project.eu.
- Psycharis,S.‘ICT and Its Applications to Education’. Papazisis Editors. ISBN 978-960-02-2318-7 1st Volume.
- Psycharis,S.Papazisis Editors.ISBN978-960-02-2434-4.
- Kyriazis,A.,Psycharis,S.,Korers,K.(2012). ‘Teaching
Psycharis,S.,Kalovrektis,C.(2017) Didactics and Learning Design of of STEM and ICT Scenario(in Greek),ISBN 978-960-418-706-5 (Taught in many Greek Universities)
- Chapter in a Book (2017). ICT-Related Teacher Professional Development: Best Practices. Sarantos Psycharis, Petros Georgiakakis and Eva Sakellaridi, e-book entitled “Various Aspects of ICT Integration in Education” focuses on the ICT integration in education .The book has composed of 12 modules created by academicians from 10 different universities. Editor: Prof. Dr. Yasemin Koçak Usluel, https://pt.slideshare.net/laboursofhercules/ebook-abstracts