- 1991: B.Sc. in Computer Science, Dpt. of Informatics and Telecommunications, University of Athens, Greece
- 1995 : Master degree in Electronic Automation, Dpt. of Informatics and Telecommunications, University of Athens, Greece
- 2002 : Ph.D. in Web-based Adaptive Educational Systems, Dpt. of Informatics and Telecommunications, University of Athens, Greece
- Adaptive & intelligent learning environments: learning design, personalisation at individual and group level, open learner modeling, group formation, interaction analysis
- Web-based learning: elearning, blended learning, individual differences, learning by design, collaborative scripts
- Teacher education and ICT
- Computer science education
- Educational Technology (ASPETE, 2006 -)
- Adult Learning, Open & Distance Education (ASPETE, 2006 -)
- Lifelong learning and ICT (MSc, University of Athens, ASPETE, 2006 - 2009)
- Learning theories and ICT (MSc, University of Piraeus, 2006-2007)
- Intelligent and Adaptive Learning environments (University of Piraeus, 2004-2006)
- Design of Educational Software (MSc, University of Athens, 2005-2006)
- Distance Learning (MSc, University of Athens, 2004-2005)
- Computer Science and Education (University of Athens, 2004-2005)
- Educational Technology (University of Piraeus, 2003-2004)
- Open learning environments (University of Piraeus, 2003-2004)
- Papanikolaou K.A., Grigoriadou M., Magoulas G.D., and Kornilakis H. Towards New Forms of Knowledge Communication: the Adaptive Dimension of a Web-based Learning Environment, Computers and Education, 39 (4), 333-360, 2002.
- Papanikolaou K.A., Grigoriadou M., Kornilakis H., and Magoulas G.D. Personalising the Interaction in a Web-based Educational Hypermedia System: the case of INSPIRE, User-Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction, 13 (3), 213-267, 2003.
- Magoulas, G.D., Papanikolaou, K.A. and Grigoriadou, M. Adaptive web-based learning: accommodating individual differences through system's adaptation, British Journal of Educational Technology, 34 (4), 511-527, 2003.
- Papanikolaou, K.A. and Grigoriadou,M. Building an instructional framework to support learner control in Adaptive Educational Hypermedia Systems. In: G.Magoulas and S.Chen: Advances in Web-based Education: Personalized Learning Environments, Idea Group Publishing, 127-146, 2005.
- Papanikolaou K., Mabbott, A. Bull S., Grigoriadou M. Designing Personalised Educational Interactions Based on Learning / Cognitive Style and Learner Behaviour. Interacting with Computers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Human-Computer Interaction 18(3), 356-384, 2006.
- Christodoulopoulos C. and Papanikolaou Κ. (2007). Group Formation Tool in a E-Learning Context. IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI), October 29-31, Patras, Greece.
- Papanikolaou, K. and Grigoriadou, M. Combining adaptive hypermedia with project and case based learning. International Journal of Educational Multimedia and Hypermedia, 18 (2), 191-220, 2009.
- Papanikolaou, K., Boubouka, M. Promoting collaboration in a Project- Based E-Learning context. Journal of Research on Technology in Education (JRTE), Vol. 43, 2, 2010, pp. 135–155. Published by International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE).
- Papanikolaou, K. and Gouli, E. Investigating Influences among Individuals and Groups in a collaborative learning setting. International Journal of eCollaboration, Vol. 9 (1), 2013, pp. 9-25. IGI Publishing.
- Boubouka, M. and Papanikolaou, K.Alternative assessment methods in technology enhanced project based learning, International Journalof Learning Technology, Vol. 8, No. 3, 2013, pp. 263-296. Published by InderScience publishers
- Makri, K., Papanikolaou, K., Tsakiri, A., and Karkanis, S. Blending the Community of Inquiry Framework with Learning by Design: Towards a Synthesis for Blended Learning in Teacher Training. The Electronic Journal of e-Learning, Vo. 12, No. 2, 2014, pp183-194
- Papanikolaou, K.Constructing Interpretative Views of Learners’ Interaction Behavior in an Open Learner Model. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, DOi: 10.1109/TLT.2014.2363663.